Pictured above is the New Martinsville Locks and Dam
|195 Main Street New Martinsville, WV 26155 Phone: 304-455-9125 After Hours Emergencies Call NMPD 304-455-9100||David White General Manager firstname.lastname@example.org||Dawn Myers Assistant Manager email@example.com|
|Jim Fayad Line Supervisor||Jay Jeffers Line Foreman|
|Pay Electric Bill Online||Gary Lemons Meter Technician||
|Kenny Stackpole Lineman||Alex Haught Lineman|
The origins of the New
Martinsville Municipal Electric utility date back to 1925 when the city
council, consisting of Mayor Frank Wells Clark and Councilmen S.W. Fisher
and J.W. Emch from the first ward; Claude Potts and B.B. Muhlman, second
ward; and C.E. Hassig and C.F. Schupbach, third ward, decided to investigate
the possibility of taking over the electric distribution system serving the
community at that time. A
committee was chose, consisting of Muhlman, Schupbach and Emch, with private
citizens Mont M. McIntyre and A. E. Larrick acting as advisors.
In March, 1927 during the term of
Mayor Frank C. Berger, a petition was prepared and circulated to discover
whether local customers would be willing to buy electricity from the town.
The reaction was favorable and on March 23, 1928, R. Hussleman, a
Consulting Engineer from Cleveland was hired to engineer the project.
In July of that same year, an election was held to approve the
issuance of bonds in the amount of $124,000.
When the votes were tallied 1017 voted yes and 21 voted no, so the
bond issue was passed.
April 22, 1929, the city purchased
the property and assets of the West Virginia Light, Heat and Power Company
and the municipally owned electric company was under way.
Of the $124,000 issuance of bonds $30,000 was paid by the town to the
company for the distribution system and $42,000 of the authorized $124,000
bond issue was sold in order to provide further funds for putting in an
ornamental lighting system and for doing some other work that would probably
be needed. Mr. J. H. Metz, an
experienced electrical engineer of Dresden, Ohio, and who comes highly
recommended, was employed by council to take charge of the electrical
business. The contract for 57
ornamental street lights was let May 15th to
Kelso-Wagner Co. of Dayton, Ohio and they were turned on for the first time
on Thursday July 18, 1929.
|Home City Hall Fire Police Location|
City of New Martinsville © 2015